The Oakland Raiders wrap up their two-game homestand as they take on the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, Oct. 6. Sunday’s meeting will be the first of the season between the two AFC West rivals and 106th overall since 1960. Last season, the Chargers swept the season series, winning the first game of the year in Oakland, and the last game in San Diego. In the season finale last year, QB
The Raiders fell at home last Sunday at the hands of the Redskins by a score of 24-14. The versatility of RB
San Diego overcame a double-digit deficit to beat the Cowboys at home, 30-21. San Diego totaled over 500 yards of offense on the afternoon QB Philip Rivers finished with a 120.3 QB rating, going 35-of-42 for 401 yards and 3 TDs. TE Antonio Gates and RB Danny Woodhead had big games, with Gates catching 10 passes for 136 yards and a TD and Woodhead hauling in five passes for 54 yards and two TDs.
Following Sunday’s contest, the Raiders will play their second-consecutive division rival when they travel to Kansas City to take on the Chiefs. The Chargers will return home next week to play the Colts on Monday Night Football.
“It’s a divisional game, so we know it’s going to be a tough, competitive football game. ... I think they’ve got good players, and again, we’re going to have to play well to beat them.” -- Raiders Head Coach Dennis Allen
• Raiders Head Coach Dennis Allen and Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy worked on the same staff with the Broncos in 2011, as Allen was the defensive coordinator and McCoy was the offensive coordinator.
• Raiders senior offensive assistant Al Saunders was with the San Diego Chargers from 1983-88. During his time there, Saunders was the wide receivers coach (1983-84), assistant head coach 1985-86) and Head Coach (1986-88).
• Raiders LB
• Chargers special teams coordinator Kevin Spencer spent three seasons with the Raiders coaching staff (1995-97). Spencer had three different positions with the Raiders: special teams (1995), assistant linebackers (1996) and defensive assistant (1997).
• Chargers defensive line coach Don Johnson was the defensive tackles coach with the Raiders from 2007-08.
• Raiders team ambassador Willie Brown was the head coach at Long Beach State University in 1991 when Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy played quarterback. McCoy threw for 938 yards on 87-of-165 attempts and seven TDs in 1991.
• Raiders WR
• Raiders LB
• Chargers WR Keenan Allen attended the University of California from 2010-12. Allen left school after his junior season having caught a school-record 205 passes, for 2,570 yards (third in school history) and 17 TDs (seventh). Allen also posted a career-high 98 catches for 1,343 yards as a sophomore in 2011. Allen was selected in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Chargers From Northern California
• There is one Charger from Northern California: WR Malcolm Floyd (Sacramento).
Raiders From the Southern California
• There are eight Raiders players/coaches from Southern California: LB Kevin Burnett (Compton), LB
Longtime AFC West rivals, the Raiders and Chargers have faced each other 106 times since 1960. Heading into 2013, Oakland has played more games against San Diego than any other team. In their 106 meetings, Oakland holds a 57-47-2 advantage vs. the Chargers. In their last meeting in Oakland, the Chargers beat the Raiders in the 2012 season opener, 22-14.
Only two players in football history have ever won a Heisman Trophy, Associated Press Rookie of the Year, Associated Press Player of the Year and a Super Bowl in their career. Raiders S Charles Woodson is one of them. The other? Former Raiders RB Marcus Allen.
Overview: Coming off a home victory against the Dallas Cowboys, the San Diego Chargers now find themself with a record of 2-2 and positioned in third place in the AFC West. The offense remains anchored by four-time Pro Bowler QB Philip Rivers, who once again finds himself in the top half of the league in passing yards. The 2013 season marks the first year for Mike McCoy as head coach of the Chargers, who spent the past three seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Broncos.
Offense: Averaging 257 yards per game in the air, the Chargers are ranked No. 11 in passing offense a quarter of the way through the 2013 campaign. Veteran TE Antonio Gates leads the team with 15 receptions and RB Ryan Mathews heads the ground attack with 45 attempts for 164 yards.
Defense: In the second year of John Pagano’s tenure as defensive coordinator, the Chargers are currently ranked 28th in opponent rushing yards and 32nd in opponent passing yards. S Eric Weddle leads the team with 19 tackles and DT Cam Thomas has the lone interception on the season.
Blocked Punt: In the first quarter of Sunday’s game vs. Washington, RB Rashad Jennings blocked a punt deep in Redskins territory that was recovered in the end zone by RB Jeremy Stewart for a TD. The blocked punt was the Raiders’ first since 12/30/12 at San Diego when Coye Francies blocked a Mike Scifres punt. The last time Oakland had a blocked punt that was returned for a TD was on 10/10/10 vs. San Diego, when Brandon Myers blocked a Mike Scifres punt that Hiram Eugene returned five yards for a score.
Getting Turnovers: After not recording a turnover in the first two games, Oakland has now forced three turnovers in the past two games. All three have come by way of the fumble recovery, as LB