- The loss brings the Raiders all-time preseason record to 126-122-1. The Raiders are now 2-7 in preseason action under Head Coach Dennis Allen.
- The Raiders are now 28-26-1 all-time in preseason openers. In the 18 seasons in which the Raiders reached the postseason since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, the team dropped its first preseason contest seven times.
- The starting offensive lineup featured four returning starters (C/G
Stefen Wisniewski, T/G Khalif Barnes, WR Rod Streaterand FB Marcel Reece) from the 2013 regular-season opener. The starting lineup also saw four players make their Raider debut: Free-agent acquisitions T Donald Penn, G/T Austin Howardand RB Maurice Jones-Drew, and QB Matt Schaub, who was acquired via trade from the Houston Texans this offseason.
- The defensive starting lineup featured only three returning starters (S
Tyvon Branch, S Charles Woodsonand LB Nick Roach) from the 2013 regular-season opener and two from the 2012 opener (Branch and LB Miles Burris).
- Six defensive starters made their Silver and Black debut, including fifth-overall draft pick LB
Khalil Mackand free agents DE Justin Tuck, DE LaMarr Woodley, DL Antonio Smith, CB Carlos Rogersand CB Tarell Brown.
- 19 of the Raiders’ 22 rookies made their NFL debuts in tonight’s game, including seven-of-eight 2014 draft picks (all except CB
Keith McGill– did not dress). LB Khalil Mack became only the third rookie draft pick to earn a start in his first preseason game for the Raiders since 2000.
- The Raiders offense outgained the Vikings 268-236 yards with 182 yards passing and 86 yards rushing. The Raiders averaged 4.4 yards per play, 0.8 yards more than Minnesota’s average (3.6).
- The defense totaled six sacks in the game, the most in a preseason contest since the Raiders also recorded six sacks in consecutive games against the Dallas Cowboys on Aug. 12, 2010, and the Chicago Bears on Aug. 21, 2010.
Individual Notes: Offense
Brice Butlerwas the leading receiver in the game, recording four receptions for 44 yards (11.0 avg.).
- Second-round draft pick QB
Derek Carrsaw his first NFL action early in the second quarter. His first pass was complete to FB/RB Jamize Olawalefor 11 yards and a first down. Carr finished 10-of-16 passing (62.5 percent) with 74 yards and an INT.
- RB Maurice Jones-Drew earned a start in his Raiders debut, totaling 10 yards on two carries and 14 receiving yards on two receptions.
Darren McFaddenbroke off a 23-yard run, the longest gain on the day for either side, on his first carry of the 2014 preseason, his only rush of the game.
Matt McGloinentered the game late in the third quarter and scored Oakland’s first points of the season on a 10-yard TD run with 1:25 remaining in the game. The following two-point conversion attempt fell incomplete. McGloin finished the game 11-of-18 passing (61.1 percent) with 90 yards. His 90 yards led all six QBs that appeared in tonight’s game.
- McGloin scored a touchdown on a 10-yard rush, pulling Oakland within a score in the fourth quarter. It was McGloin’s first touchdown rush of his career, preseason or regular season.
Latavius Murrayled the Raiders with 28 rushing yards on seven carries (4.0 avg.). Murray also returned one kickoff for 21 yards.
- QB Matt Schaub made his first appearance in a Raider uniform, completing three-of-seven passes for 21 yards in just over one quarter of play.
Individual Notes: Defense
Kaelin Burnettrecorded a late-game sack of Vikings QB Christian Ponder for a 5-yard loss.
- Burnett, CB Tarell Brown and CB
TJ Carrietied for the team lead with four solo tackles apiece.
Justin Colebroke through for an 8-yard sack of Ponder in the fourth quarter, his third career preseason sack.
- Rookie DE
Shelby Harrisrecorded a strip-sack of Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater late in the first quarter, with fellow rookie DE Justin Ellisright on his heels. Ellis exited the game with a head injury sustained while trying to recover the fumble.
Sio Moorepushed Bridgewater out of bounds in the second quarter for a 4-yard sack and his second career preseason sack.
Ryan Robinsonand DT Ricky Lumpkincombined on a sack of Ponder for a 7-yard loss in the third quarter.
Pat Simsbrought down Vikings QB Matt Cassel early in the first quarter for the first sack of the preseason. Sims now has six preseason sacks to add to his seven career sacks in the regular season, including two last year.
Individual Notes: Special Teams
Marquette Kingbooted seven punts (45.6 avg.) in the contest, including three inside the 20-yard line and a long of 56 yards. The seven punts equal his 2013 preseason total. King only had four games with more punting yards in all of 2013.