Skip to main content
Raider Nation, Stand Up - View Schedule - Presented by Allegiant

1983 AFC Championship


The Los Angeles Raiders hosted the Seattle Seahawks on an overcast day at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for the 1983 AFC Championship. The game was played on January 8, 1984, in front of 88,734 spectators. The Raiders dominated the scoreboard in the first half and won the game 30-14, despite two interceptions and three fumbles. The Silver and Black would then go on to handily defeat the Washington Redskins 38-9 in Super Bowl XVIII.

Seattle won the toss and elected to receive. K Chris Bahr kicked off to the Seahawks 6 and RB David Hughes returned the ball to the 34. On Seattle QB Dave Krieg's first pass attempt of the game, CB Lester Hayes intercepted, but the play was called back on a Raiders penalty. With renewed life, the Seahawks continued to drive only to have Hayes intercept another pass and return it 44 yards to the Seattle 26. 

On the Raiders first possession, RB Marcus Allen had four carries for 23 yards. A QB Jim Plunkett third down pass was incomplete and Bahr kicked a 20-yard field goal and the Raiders led 3-0 with 8:37 left in the first quarter.

Bahr kicked off to Hughes, who returned the kick to the 26. After gaining a first down, Krieg was sacked and P Jeff West hit a 38-yard punt. With the ball at their own 28, the Raiders gained a first down with a 12-yard pass from Plunkett to Allen, but were forced to punt three plays later.

The Seahawks went three-and-out on their next drive, punting back to the Raiders. Starting at the 36, the Silver and Black managed to get to the Seahawks 30, but stalled there after an unsuccessful 4th-and-1 attempt. Seattle took over, but quickly went three-and-out. The Raiders took over at their own 39-yard line. The Raiders got three quick first downs with a Plunkett throw to WR Cliff Branch, an Allen run for 16 yards, and a 20-yard Plunkett pass to WR Malcolm Barnwell. After another first down on three plays, RB Frank Hawkins ran up the middle for a 1-yard touchdown. Bahr's extra point was good and the Raiders led 10-0 with 4:09 left in the first half.

On the ensuing drive, Seattle went three-and-out, punting back to the Raiders. Plunkett passed to Barnwell on second down for 49 yards to the Seattle 7. After Allen gained two yards on the first down, Hawkins ran around the left end for a 5-yard touchdown. On Hawkins' second touchdown of the day, the Raiders went up 17-0. 

The Raiders kicked off with 1:02 left to play in the half. The Seahawks gained one first down before Krieg was intercepted by S Mike Davis. The Raiders took over with time running down and Plunkett passed to Barnwell for a 20-yard gain on 3rd down. At the 27-yard line, Bahr kicked a 45-yard field goal with three seconds left on the clock. The Raiders kicked off to end the first half leading 20-0.

The Raiders received the ball to start the second half, but Hawkins fumbled and Seattle recovered. On the Seahawks first play, LB Matt Millen intercepted Krieg's pass intended for TE Charle Young. The Raiders drove from their own 47 to the Seahawks 9-yard line, but Plunkett threw an interception in the end zone.

The Seahawks switched to QB Jim Zorn, who was unsuccessful on his first drive, throwing an interception to Davis. The Raiders took over and Plunkett handed the ball off to Allen for a 43-yard gain. Allen completed the drive with a 3-yard touchdown catch from Plunkett. After the extra point by Bahr, the Raiders led 27-0 with 6:40 left in the 3rd quarter.

Bahr kicked off to RB Zachary Dixon, returned the kick 21 yards to the Seattle 26. The Seahawks began driving with two quick first downs and two more big running plays and the Seahawks were at the Raiders 33. After a passing play to WR Paul Johns for 12 yards, Dixon ran up the middle for 10. Zorn had two incomplete passes, but found RB Dan Doornink in the end zone for Seattle's first touchdown. With 3:52 left in the third, the Raiders led 27-7.

WR Cleo Montgomery fielded the kickoff in the end zone and returned it to the 18. On the first play from scrimmage, Plunkett was intercepted by LB Bruce Scholtz. The Seahawks went three-and-out and punted the ball back to the Raiders. The Silver and Black ended the third quarter in the middle of a drive at their own 46. At the start of the 4th, Plunkett led his troops to Seattle's 20, but Allen fumbled and Seattle recovered.

Within four minutes of the 4th quarter, both teams had a combined seven turnovers, with more to come. On Seattle's next possession, Zorn was intercepted by S Vann McElroy. The Raiders couldn't take advantage and quickly went 3-and-out. Guy punted back to the Seahawks, who gained a first down on two Dixon runs, but had to punt after a sack by DE Greg Townsend.

The Raiders got the ball back and stalled at the Seattle 17. Bahr kicked a 35-yard field goal to put the Raiders up 30-7 with 3:57 left on the clock. Dixon returned the ensuing kickoff 23 yards. Seattle then went exclusively to passing plays, alternating completions to Doornink and Johns. With 1:21 remaining and at the Los Angeles 9-yard line, Zorn threw a touchdown pass to Young, cutting the Raiders lead to 30-14.

The Seahawks kicked off to the Raiders, who ate up the rest of the clock to preserve their lead. The Raiders dominated time of possession 37:06 to 22:54. The Los Angeles Raiders claimed the AFC Championship, 30-14, and earned a bid to Super Bowl XVIII.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content

Latest Content