Take a look back at the Raiders vs Rams rivalry, regular and pre season, in pictures.
Date:Friday, August 14
Kickoff:7:00 p.m. PT
Site:O.co Coliseum (1966)
Preseason:Raiders lead, 11-7
Regular Season:Raiders lead, 8-5
The Oakland Raiders will kick off their 2015 season with a preseason contest at home against the St. Louis Rams on Friday, Aug. 14 at 7:00 p.m. PT at O.co Coliseum. Head Coach Jack Del Riowill coach his first game at the helm of the Silver and Black, having been named the 19th head coach in the franchise's 55-year history in January. Following the first two weeks of training camp at the team's summer home in Napa, the Raiders and Del Rio will open a a slate of preseason games that includes contests against three NFC West opponents (Rams, Cardinals and Seahawks).
](http://www.pntra.com/t/RkFGRExKRExBS01FR0lBSUlMRUg)Friday's contest will mark the Raider debuts for a number of free agents who joined the team in the offseason, including S Nate Allen(from Phi.), WR Michael Crabtree(SF), C Rodney Hudson(KC), LB Curtis Lofton(NO), RB Trent Richardson(Ind.), TE Lee Smith(Buf.), LB Malcolm Smith(Sea.), G/T J'Marcus Webb(Min.) and DT Dan Williams(Ari.). The 2015 NFL Draft brought another crop of young talent to Oakland, with General Manager Reggie McKenzie tabbing WR Amari Cooperwith the fourth-overall selection and adding talented players with the team's remaining nine selections.
Following Friday's game, the Silver and Black will head back Napa for the week before hitting the road for the first time in 2015. The team's second preseason will be in Minnesota to take on the Vikings at TCF Bank Stadium for the second consecutive year before a nationally-televised preseason Week 3 contest at home against the Arizona Cardinals. The Rams will travel to Oxnard, Calif., following the game to practice with the Dallas Cowboys before heading to Tennessee to take on the Titans next week.
QUOTING DEL RIO
"We had a great first week or so of camp. A lot of energy and effort, and a lot of productivity. I think we grew as a football team this week. We went through a lot of different situations. Fundamentally, the teaching that went in, the work and the sacrifice and the coming together and understanding how we're going to apply ourselves within the system. I think all of that was really excellent. Good first week." - Raiders Head Coach Jack Del Rio
Play-by-play:Beth MowinsColor Analysts:Tim Brown, Matt MillenSideline:Nicole Zaloumis, JT The Brick"
*This week's game will air on KFOX 102.1/98.5 in the Bay Area
Play-by-play:Greg PapaColor Analyst:Tom FloresSideline:Lincoln Kennedy
• Raiders defensive assistant Sam Annowas a linebacker on the 1987 Los Angeles Rams squad.
• Raiders quarterbacks coach Todd Downingwas the Rams' defensive assistant/assistant special teams coach in 2006-07, and served as assistant secondary/quality control – defense in 2008.
• Raiders LB Ray-Ray Armstrongbegan his career with St. Louis, playing for the Rams from 2013-14.
• Rams special teams coordinator John Fasselheld the same position with the Raiders from 2009-11.
• Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufleserved in the same capacity with the Raiders from 1998-2003 and again from 2010-11.
• Rams P Michael Palardyspent the 2014 offseason with the Raiders, later re-joining the team as a practice squad member.
• Rams LB Marshall McFaddenplayed in four games with the Raiders in 2013.
• Raiders offensive coordinator Bill Musgravecoached Rams QB Nick Foleswith the Philadelphia Eagles in 2014.
• Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisherwas head coach of the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1994-2010, where he coached Raiders defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson(1994-2000) and Rams senior defensive assistant Chuck Cecil(1995), both safeties. Fisher later gave both Robertson and Cecil their starts in coaching with Tennessee, Robertson as assistant secondary coach in 2007 and Cecil as defensive assistant/quality control in 2001.
• Raiders DE Justin Tuckwas coached by Rams defensive line coach Mike Wauflewith the New York Giants from 2005-09.
• Raiders wide receivers coach Rob Mooreplayed for the New York Jets under Rams wide receivers coach Ray Sherman(offensive coordinator) in 1994. Raiders special teams coordinator Brad Seelyheld his same position with the Jets that season.
Take a look at the first string from the first depth chart of 2015.
• Raiders K Sebastian Janikowskiand Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinkewere teammates at Florida State from 1997-99, helping the Seminoles win the 1999 BCS National Championship.
• Raiders defensive line coach Jethro Franklinwas coached by Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufleat Fresno State from 1986-87.
• Raiders assistant defensive backs coach Rod Woodsonand Rams wide receivers coach Ray Shermanwere together at Purdue from 1984-85 when Sherman coached running backs.
• Raiders S Tevin McDonald's older brother, T.J. McDonald, plays strong safety for the Rams. The pair attended Edison High School in Fresno, Calif.
• Raiders LB Chase Williamsis the son of Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
Overview: Head Coach Jeff Fisher, now in his fourth year leading the Rams after 17 seasons with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, will look to get the Rams back to the playoffs after posting a 6-10 mark last year, landing the team in fourth place in the NFC West. This will mark the 19th preseason meeting between the two teams, with the Raiders holding an 11-7 advantage in exhibition games. The Rams and Raiders met in Week 13 last season, with the Rams winning in St. Louis.
Offense:After ranking near the bottom third of the league in passing (23rd), rushing (20th) and total offense (28th) last season, the Rams decided to shake up the offense this offseason by trading for Pro Bowl QB Nick Foles, who will lead St. Louis in his fourth NFL season. In nine appearances, with eight starts, for the Eagles last season, Foles posted a 59.8 completion percentage on 186-of-311 passing with 13 TDs and 10 INTs. Among his top targets will be the veteran WR Kenny Britt, who led the team with 748 receiving yards last season, and third-year speedster WR Tavon Austin. Sophomore RB Tre Mason, who posted a team-leading 765 rushing yards, four TDs and 179 carries as a rookie, will help establish a balanced attack for Foles alongside first-round draft pick RB Todd Gurley.
Defense:The Rams defense will look to improve on last season's results with the help of 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year DT Aaron Donald, who posted nine sacks in his first NFL campaign. The Rams' powerful front line is anchored on the left side by DE Chris Long, son of Raiders legend Howie Long. Opposite Long is the Rams' sack leader, DE Robert Quinn, who has recorded at least 10.5 sacks in each of the last three seasons. CB Trumaine Johnsonpaced the team with three INTs last year and CB Janoris Jenkinshad two INT-TDs.
INDIVIDUAL STATS VS. RAMS
Career Totals: 47 receptions for 751 yards (16.0 avg.) with seven TDs; one rushing attempt for six yards in 10 career games.
Eclipsed the 100-yard mark twice, going for 122 yards on six receptions with one score on Dec. 26, 2010 and for 101 yards on seven catches on Dec. 2, 2012.
Scored in five straight meetings with the Rams from 2010-12, including an eight-reception, 86-yard and two-TD performance on Jan. 1, 2012.
Career Totals: 26 tackles (19 solo), one INT returned 37 yards for a TD, two passes defensed and one forced fumble in eight career games.
While with the Seattle Seahawks, recorded the only INT-TD of his career on a 37-yard return against the Rams on Dec. 29, 2013.
Notched 10 solo tackles and added a forced fumble against the Rams on Oct. 19, 2014.
Career Totals: 4.5 sacks and one INT with a 41-yard return for a TD in four career games.
Posted one sack and two tackles in the Raiders' loss to the Rams on Nov. 30, 2014.
While with the New York Giants, recorded multiple sacks in two of three career games against the Rams – 2.0 sacks on Sept. 14, 2008 and 1.5 sacks on Sept. 19, 2011.
Posted the first INT and the only pick-six of his career when he intercepted Marc Bulger and returned it 41 yards for the TD on Sept. 14, 2008.
Career Totals: 22 tackles (15 solo), one forced fumble and one INT returned two yards for a TD.
Notched the only INT and TD of his career with a 2-yard return at St. Louis on Sept. 8, 2013.