The Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys square off against each other for the second-straight season on Friday, August 9. Kickoff for the contest between these two historic franchises is set for 7:00 p.m. PT. The Cowboys will make the trip up to O.co Coliseum from their training camp site in Oxnard, Calif., while the Raiders take a break from their Napa, Calif. camp headquarters.
The Oakland Raiders' 2012 season marked the first campaign under the direction of General Manager Reggie McKenzie and Head Coach Dennis Allen. Finishing with a 4-12 record, the Silver and Black were decimated by injuries, having lost 96 games and 49 starts due to injury. The three-time Super Bowl Champions are embarking on their 54th season in 2013.
The Dallas Cowboys are coming off a year in which they narrowly missed a playoff berth, finishing up at 8-8. Jason Garrett enters his third full season as the team's head coach. Dallas enters the 2013 season with a .600 winning percentage in the Super Bowl era, tops of any team, and will play in their 54th season as well in 2013.
The Raiders and Cowboys have played each other 28 times in the preseason, second-most of any opponent the Raiders have faced (49ers, 39).
By the Numbers
10: The Raiders and Cowboys have faced each other 10 times in the regular season heading into the 2013 campaign, and will play again on Nov. 28, Thanksgiving Day. Oakland leads the all-time series, 6-4.
8: The two historic franchises have combined for eight Super Bowl championships - three by the Raiders (1976, 1980 and 1983) and five (1971, 1977, 1992, 1993 and 1995) by the Cowboys.
421: Since 1963, the year Al Davis was named general manager and head coach, the Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys have been two of the NFL's winningest franchises. Entering 2013, the Cowboys and Raiders both have at least 421 regular season wins - Dallas with a league-high 447 and Oakland with the fourth-most wins with 421.
"I've talked to our team about competing. In everything that you do, you've got to compete. And I talked to them about winning. I mean winning is important. We set that mindset that those things are a habit. You create good habits or bad habits every day you come out here. We've got to understand how to play this game at a championship level and how to win. I'm not talking about just on Sundays in the games. I'm talking about out here on the practice field. It's about winning your match up on every single play." -- Raiders Head Coach Dennis Allen
- Raiders CB Mike Jenkins is a former first-round selection of the Cowboys and played in Dallas from 2008-12.
- Raiders T Alex Barron played with the Cowboys during the 2010 season.
- Raiders LB Kevin Burnett was originally selected by the Cowboys in the second round of the 2005 NFL Draft and played for Dallas from 2005-08.
- Raiders OL Andre Gurode was a second-round draft pick of the Cowboys and played in Dallas from 2002-10, earning five Pro Bowl selections as a Cowboy.
- Cowboys S Eric Frampton was originally selected by the Raiders in the fifth round of the 2007 NFL Draft and spent training camp with the team that year.
- Cowboys CB Sterling Moore was a member of the Raiders' practice squad in 2011.
- Raiders RB Darren McFadden played at Arkansas with Dallas G Ray Dominguez in 2007. Dominguez also played with Raiders QB Tyler Wilson at Arkansas in 2009.
- Raiders C/G Stefen Wisniewski and Dallas LB Sean Lee were teammates at Penn State from 2007-08. Raiders DE Jack Crawford also suited up for the Nittany Lions in 2008.
- Raiders DT Stacy McGee played at Oklahoma with Cowboys TE James Hanna at Oklahoma from 2009-11 and from 2009-10 with Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray. Murray and Raiders S Reggie Smith were also teammates for the Sooners in 2007.
- Raiders LB Kevin Burnett and Cowboys TE Jason Witten were teammates at Tennessee from 2000-02.
- Cowboys LS L.P. Ladouceur went to the University of California.
Cowboys From California
- S Eric Frampton is from San Jose, Calif. and attended Oak Grove High School.
- CB Sterling Moore is from Antioch, Calif. and attended Deer Valley High School.
Raiders From Texas
- Head Coach Dennis Allen is from Hurst, Texas. (L.D. Bell HS).
- WR Denarius Moore is from Tatum, Texas. (Tatum HS).
- QB Matt Flynn is from Tyler, Texas. (Robert E. Lee HS).
- LB Keenan Clayton is from Sulphur Springs, Texas (Sulphur Springs HS).
The Raiders brought back one of their own this offseason, re-signing former Oakland first-round pick DB Charles Woodson. Woodson, who was named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2009, ranks second among active players with 55 interceptions.
Rookie WR Rod Streater, who totaled just 19 catches as a senior at Temple, was among the most productive non-drafted rookie players in recent NFL history in 2012. Streater's 39 catches last season were tied for third most among non-drafted rookies since 2000.