Prior to the Oakland Raiders 18-3 preseason victory over the St. Louis Rams, Raiders.com Senior Editor Jerry Knaak posted five questions. Here are the answers to those questions: * *
|RB Taiwan Jones carried the ball 3 times for 15 yards against the St. Louis Rams.|
1. How much will the starters play? The starters played longer than I thought they would. In fact, starting quarterback Derek Carr was in the huddle for the start of the third series until Christian Ponder came out to relieve him. Safety Charles Woodson and defensive end Justin Tuck each played one series, the full starting offense two series, with the starting offensive line staying in most of the first half. The second team defense started the 2nd quarter.
2. Which tight ends will play? Mychal Rivera started and Clive Walford made his first appearance late in the first quarter. Gabe Holmes and Brian Leonhardt played in the second half. Lee Smith did not play last night.
3. What will happen in the return game? Wide receiver Trindon Holliday fumbled his first kickoff and fell on it after the Rams took a 3-0 lead on their opening drive. He did record a 22-yard punt return. Taiwan Jones returned one kickoff for 27 yards.
4. How will the cornerbacks fare? Rams quarterback Nick Foles was 2 of 3 for 61 yards on the opening drive, but cornerback TJ Carrie broke up a potential TD pass on 3rd and 4 forcing a 31-yard FG attempt. Wide receiver Tavon Austin got loose for a 35-yard gain on a jailbreak screen. Aside from that, the next longest pass play went to tight end Lance Kendricks for 26 yards. After the opening drive, the secondary settled in and didn't give up any big plays.
5. Who will get the bulk of the carries? It was all Latavius Murray on opening drive, 3 rushes for 23 yards – he finished with 6 rushes for 35 yards, Trent Richardson came on and carried the ball 5 times for 18 yards, then Taiwan Jones rushed 3 times for 15 yards. Michael Dyer entered during first drive of the 3rd quarter and finished with 5 carries for 11 yards. George Atkinson III finished the game at running back and carried the ball 6 times for 6 yards.